Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho, its off to Show we go.....

Just two measly little days.  Two.  On Thursday we load up and head out to Delaware Ohio for the Mid-Ohio Classic, two shows held over three days.  Bastian's first ever recognized dressage show and my second. We are riding the same two tests each day, Training 2 and Training 4.  I"m hoping to get my qualifying scores in Test 4, we need to get at least a 63%.  We'll be keeping our fingers and hooves crossed.

Bastian has been going wonderfully.  I had a lesson the Wednesday after our schooling show and it really clicked.  Kristin had me riding every stride and got me back into "thinking rider" mode instead of just being a passenger.  We had about 8 minutes of beautiful work, then Bastian and I were both exhausted.  Actual riding takes a lot out of you! LOL

She also suggested that I get back to lunging him.  For us, lunging is about breaking through his stiffness and making sure he is forward.  I have to over-do it on the lunge forward-wise, this way under saddle he is more willing to move off my leg and actually go.  Bastian is by nature, a lazy boy, he would be happy to just trot and canter around nice and slow.  Too bad he doesn't have the movement for western pleasure, he sure as heck has the mentality for it.  So lunging is a great way to do our warm-up.  15 minutes and he is through and forward, not to mention he is just a sweet, sweet boy to lunge.  I've lunged some jerks in my life and Bastian is a saint, thank goodness.

So we've spent the past week lunging then riding for 20-25 minutes.  He has been a totally different horse, he's gained a lot more muscling and fitness and so have I, but we still have a ways to go.  If I keep my stuff together and breath, sit straight and THINK about what I am doing, we may just have a chance of pulling this off. 

Today's lesson was good.  We had some moments of brillance, but I need to sustain them longer.  Moments don't get good scores.  I'm feeling more and more comfortable with my tests and just need to relax and let the test happen instead of rushing it.  Dressage is not a race, dressage is not a race, dressage is not a race...... (although if it were, Bastian's and I's chances of winning might increase!)

I also spent last week freaking out about my dressage coat.  I had gotten a new one for this year, my other coat was very old and had some other issues, so I ordered a new one.  It looked like I was wearing a black circus tent.  Seriously.  I tried to find a tailor to take it in, no luck.  Finally on Friday, another boarder at the barn, Wendy,  told me she was going to The Paddock and Schneiders and asked me if I wanted to go.  I jumped on that bandwagon as fast as I could! 

We get to The Paddock and I, thinking I wear a size 18 don't see any dressage coats that will fit.  Just for giggles I try on a 16.  Not too bad, it actually fits.  The sales associate came over to help me out and has me try on a 14, I'm thinking, no way-too fat!  But it fit perfectly.  The only thing I need to do is let the sleeves down a smidge and I mean a smidge.  So I finally have an elegant dressage coat to show in.  Although I am disappointed that I wasn't able to get a velvet collar or silver piping :(  Sorry, the ex-eventer needs her bling!

Today my mom helped me to pack up Bastian's show things.  Everything is packed minus his Saddle, bit, and lunging equipment.  I've got all my show clothes ready to go, I just need to pack up my sundries and multiple accessories for travel.  I'm excited to finally be showing Bastian at a recognized show! 

Wish us luck! ♥

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel with your Dressage Coat. My very first one was like that! Very untailored! Thankfully I've got a fantastically looking and fitting one now. Good luck in the show!

    ReplyDelete