Sunday, May 23, 2010

Reconnoiter-ing

Tomorrow will make an official five weeks since Bastian's lameness debaucle began.  The vet did not make it out last week to ultra-sound his leg so I'm still not 100% sure what we are actually dealing with, we stepped up his care just a notch, instead of cold hosing for 15 minutes I was instructed to ice his leg for 30 minutes a day and to continue to handwalk.  My vet appointement for tomorrow is at 3:30 so I have to skip out of school a few minutes early (kids leave at 2:15, I'm supposed to stay until 2:45, but I'll leave by 2:30 instead, no biggie)


~~Just a side note on that subject, only 4 days of regular classes left followed by four half days of finals then its summer vacation!! WOOT ♥ ~~

Check out that sweet icing apparatus!  Sweatpants, suspenders and vet wrap.  This also further proves that my horse is pretty darn awesome, he didn't bat an eyelash at any of this! 

So I'm hoping that what he sees is something minor or something that is on its way to being pretty well healed.  I lunged him for just a moment on Friday and he looked great, very sound.  Which is good because he is so super bored.  The poor young boy has been locked up in his stall for five weeks, no turn out, no friends and just super slow handwalks with me, he is so ready to go back to work.  Today instead of hand walking I decided I would ride him at the walk instead so he would actually get to move out a bit instead of crawling along beside me. 

So I get him tacked up and inform Beth one of the other boarders about what I'm doing and if she hears any screaming or odd noises from the indoor that she needs to come and rescue me.  I walk him into the arena, step him through the doors and go to pull the doors shut and he rears.  Rears.  He has never in his 6 years reared.  I yell at him and he lands and takes off at a gallop.  He gallops 3/4 of the way around the area with a few bucks thrown in for good measure, comes around the 3rd corner and sees me and stops.  The look on his face was priceless.  He was totally like "Um, I wasn't supposed to do that huh?  Ahh, sorry??"

Did I mention that the doors on the other side of the arena were open and that Wendy saved my butt by getting them closed before Bastian flew by them?  Oh yeah, it was great start to my time at the barn today.  I considered not getting on him, I don't need to be on top of him he decides to have a "ImnotinmystallandI'mgonnarunnaroundmoment! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"  But I did get on, again major thanks to Wendy who held him at the mounting block (he didn't try anything, but better safe than sorry!) and again when my 20 minutes was up she held him while I slid down.  He was awesome while I rode though, I wasn't really asking for anything but he was looking for the bit and mainted a wonderful light contact with just a bit of roundness.  He was all "yes, we're doing something, we're riding, we're......walking."  he was ready to do more, but  we stuck to the walk. 

Then I iced that leg that he used to tear around the arena on, brushed him some more and gave him some yummy Tooty-Fruity hard candies from Daffin's Chocolates.  So it ended well despite Bastian's (understandable but not acceptable) explosion.

I've had five weeks to come up with a new plan should my pony decide to be sound and healthy for the remainder of the summer.  So here goes.  I am focussing on the dressage.  Between having a lame pony and much less funding than I had expected, dressage is my main focus.  I want to go to Regionals.  I want to do well.  With that being said, my first event should he be sound is......

  • South Farm HT: Starter Division (2')  July 4th  
  • NODA Schooling Dressage Show at Grand Haven July 11th
    • Training 4
    • First 4
  • NODA Dressage Show and Encore Show July 24th and 25th at Grand Haven *regcognized*
    • Training 4
    • First 4
  • Hickory Creek Judged Trail Ride July 31
  • WPDA Summer Sizzler  Dressage Show August 14th and 15th at Grand Haven *recognized* (only if I haven't already gotten my qualifying scores)
    • Training 4
    • First 4
  • Grand Haven Dressage Schooling Show August 22nd 
    • Training 4
    • First 4
  • South Farm HT:
    • BN (not me showing him! LOL)
  • Grand Haven Dressage Schooling Show October 3rd
    • Training 4
    • First 4
  • Region One Dressage Championships in Williamston, NC November 11-14
    • Training 4
    • First 4
There may be some hunter shows smattered in there if the opportunity presents itself and things work out, but the plan has changed drastically from just puttering around and dabbling our feet in everything to focusing on our dressage.  (did you notice a pattern with the dressage?)  I may end up going to different dressage shows, it just depends.  I chose Grand Haven because I don't have to get a hotel, I don't have to find someone to watch my puppies, etc. etc.  Its only about 30 minutes from the barn.  So we'll see how things go and where we end up, but its dressage all the way.  Which means I need to get another pair of white breeches.......

Wish us luck with the vet tomorrow!! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment